Motorized Paragliding : Manzanilla

13th February 2011

My ears perk up when my fiance Edward, tells me about "a guy called Juan from Venezuela" who does Motorized Paragliding in Manzanilla. Always game for something fun and exciting on the exceedingly rare weekends that Edward and I are off together, I say "Let's do it!"


Manzanilla Beach
Having done a three and a half hour night-hike in Blanchisseuse along the Marianne River the night before, we have a lazy Sunday morning and set off for Manzanilla at close to noon. It was a leisurely drive and I was happy to stretch my legs on the almost deserted beach when we finally arrived.

Just as my eyes finish soaking in the horizon and the stretch of the east coast of Trinidad, Juan arrives. The tray of Juan's pickup truck was loaded with several sacks of parachute-material looking duffel bags of different sizes, but what stood out, was a cleverly constructed frame which housed an engine, about the size of a lawn-mower engine, with a chrome muffler curled under it. I am immediately excited and quickly come closer to listen to Juan's very thick Venezuelan-accented introduction to Motorized Paragliding. Juan is very passionate about the sport and you realize that he genuinely hopes to introduce and cultivate the sport in Trinidad. I like him already.

The Steroid Skateboard
As I receive my Motorized Paragliding 101, two guys who were waiting when we arrived, eagerly unpack Juan's van. You can tell these guys have done this before, but today they are intent on another activity, Kite-Boarding. One of the guys gets to the Board (which looks like a skateboard on steroids, all-terrain wheels and all!) and his eyes light up. They quickly get themselves set up under Shim's watchful gaze. Shim is Juan's dare-devil buddy and the Kite Boarding instructor. The Kite Boarders set off with the training kite and the Steroid Skateboard to the compact sand shoreline. In what seems like a matter of seconds, the kite is up and one of the guys is ripping down the shoreline on the Steroid Skateboard. The wind is gusty and the kite is making rapid movements as it pulls the Boarder down the beach at what looks like 30 miles an hour!

I look back to the Kite that Juan is setting up for our Paraglide and realize that it must be 3 times the size of the training kite...Oh Boy! As I put on the candy red crash helmet and strap myself into the harnesses, the Kite Boarders rip down the beach in front of me and I really don't know what to expect from the Monster red Kite I'm now hooked up to.

It's a tandem flight and Juan is giving me last minute instructions. Before I know it, the Monster Kite is up and I feel my heels lift off and my toes stretching down to touch the sand. Juan cranks up the engine, two steps and we're airborne! I slide back into my harness, mentally making sure that I followed all of Juan's instructions, when I am suddenly aware that my perspective of the shoreline has changed... I'm now looking at the top of the crests of the waves, and the tops of the coconut trees, and as I raise my head, I realize that I can see the entire Nariva Swamp. It takes my breath away and I feel my eyes readjust as I try to soak in the incredible view.

My Bird's Eye View

I smile to myself as I think that this is what Edward, who is a helicopter pilot, must see everyday. Intent on preserving this moment and hoping to etch the scene into my memory, I close my eyes for a moment when another sensation strikes me. I feel the wind blowing the sand from the soles of my feet. It seems in that magical moment, that each grain of sand rolls the entire distance of the soles of my feet, as if clinging on, before each grain surrenders to the might of the wind. It is a feeling I am sure I will never forget.


Juan idles the engine down and we float on the wind suspended by the kite, as he asks if I feel alright and takes the opportunity to tell me about and point out from our bird's eye position, the Nariva Swamp, the Manatee Trust, the Coconut Tree barrier and explains to me that the sediment from the river colors the water below us. I listen earnestly and am impressed that Juan knows so much about our under-appreciated treasures. 

Juan then asks again if I feel alright, no sea-sickness? I am eager for him to know how much I am enjoying the experience and say, "No I feel great! This is amazing!" Juan, now certain that I am comfortable and game asks, "You wanna have a little fun?", I reply "Hell yeah!". Juan then revs up the little engine and we make what seemed like a 45 degree upward climb for a minute or so and then idles the engine off. Pulling on the harnesses that connects to the Monster Kite, we make a quick bank to one side and my scream escapes. I hear Juan chuckle and I grip the harnesses on either side of me. We quickly swing from side to side while gliding down toward the wave crests below us and my adrenaline is really pumping. I am caught between fits of screams and laughter. I take in the full range of the movement and fight the urge the squeeze my eyes tightly shut. Juan then levels us out and I am laughing uncontrollably, I feel as free as a bird.


Juan takes us up again and then glides us back down till my toes can almost touch the crests of the waves. I feel the moisture filled wind on my feet and love it. A few minutes later, we fly in the direction of the westerly descending sun and Juan prepares us for our landing. My feet touch the ground as gently as they took off and a with a few running steps in, the Monster Kite curls down ahead of us. My legs are a little wonky as they support my weight and my tummy gives a little shudder.


I quickly unstrap myself from the harness, take off my Crash Helmet and pass it over to Edward, eager for him to see and feel the magnanimity of the adventure!

Edward gets ready to take-off


http://www.facebook.com/album.php?id=504563576&aid=265174

4 comments:

  1. ohh i read this and my stomach was fluttering too! lol ....i have never seen the East coast in such splendor, it is breath taking. Make sure Juan is available the next time i am in Trini pleaseeee...iv'e gotta try this, you know i am an adrendaline junkie ;P

    ReplyDelete
  2. A magical experience by a gifted writer!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounded like such a beautiful experience! And you captured it really well in your story. You should think about writing novels...or Trinidad tour guide books. Let me know if you need an assistant to help you experience these things and write about them! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Kaiz!

    Can, Nads for sure!! :-)

    ReplyDelete